Wednesday, July 29, 2009

1 Nephi - Chapter 3 - Verses 1 thru 10

While I was reading and pondering these versus last night and this morning I was blown away by the simplicity and powerfulness of versus 7. I have included verse 7 below just in case you don't have access to it while reading this posting.

Verse 7 from Chapter 3 of 1Nephi in the Book of Mormon:

7. And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I awill go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no bcommandments unto the children of men, save he shall cprepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

What a powerful and insightful statement this is. I have read it over many times in the last two days as I have thought and ponder this single versus.

I remember as a child and a young adult often wondering to myself if I could ever live my life by following all of the commandments? I use to view the commandments as a punishment of sorts and something my parents would use to try to keep me in line when there was something else in my life that I really wanted to do, but that didn't fit their idea of something I should be doing at the time. I grew up not fully understanding all of the commandments and thus looking at them as a form of punishment and parental control. I use to think to myself there isn't anyone who can live all the commandments all of the time, and if you can't be perfect in trying to do this then why even try to live your life according to the commandments?

Now I know there can be many different ways to comprehend the versus above, and I know it can mean many different things to many different people. To me it means just starting with the basics in our lives of the 10 commandments and trying to live those commandments each and everyday. As it states above he will never command us to do anything that he hasn't already prepared a way for us to accomplish the thing which he has commandeth of us.

I know I am not perfect and I know I may never live all the commandments every day of my life but I now know also about the process of repentance and of the atonement of Jesus Christ for our sins. I know that each day I strive to live the commandments and strive to be a better person that Heavenly Father will make a path for me through all of these worldly trials and tribulations to be able to realize my end goal in life which is to be with him again someday.

I want to leave you with a question. Tell me how this one simple versus might of helped you in your life? or how it might of changed the way you look at things in your life?

Till next time,

Mr. S

No comments:

Post a Comment